Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Baked Brown Rice

I made Baked Brown Rice as a side dish for dinner last night. Normally I'm not much of a brown rice fan. I don't like the way it turns out when I cook it on the stove. This recipe came from Alton Brown's show Good Eats on Food Network. The rice turned out so good! Nice and nutty and chewy, and a little creamy. The best part was how easy it was to make. I just stuck it in the oven and it baked while I made the rest of the dinner. I wasn't able to find short or medium grain rice at our local grocery store (it's what the recipe calls for), but I found the short grain in the bulk section of one of the stores in Yreka. So, here is the recipe.

BAKED BROWN RICE

1 1/2 C brown rice, short or medium grain
2 1/2 C water
1 T unsalted butter
1 tsp kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 375*F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. (Keep an eye on it, because it will start to foam up as soon as it starts to boil.) Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff rice with a fork. Serve immediately.


There you go. Simple and delicious. Enjoy!

No comments: