Saturday, July 07, 2007

Homemade Microwave Popcorn

Okay, so here is a recipe for homemade microwave popcorn. I made this last night. It was super easy, and pretty tasty. Of course, it's not store bought microwave popcorn. No fake buttery goodness. But still pretty good. And the bonus is, I know what's in it. It is simple, healthy ingredients. No hydrogenated oils, no trans fat. Just good for ya' stuff.

Plus, per bag, it's probably a lot cheaper than the store bought stuff. I paid $1.29 for a package of 50 lunch bags ($.03/bag). And I paid $2.78 for a container of Orville Redenbacher popcorn kernels. This has 24-1/4 cup servings in it ($.12/serving). This equals out to $.15 per bag of popcorn. It's been a while since I bought microwave popcorn from the store, but I know it's a lot more expensive than that per bag! I think the bag sizes are comparable to the "snack size" bags of popcorn. Like I said, it's been awhile since I bought it at the store, so I'm not sure. It could be in between the snack size and the regular size.

I'm making this again tonight. Two bags, actually. One for the Piddos (as in, kiddo piddos) to share in the tent with Daddy while they are camping out in the yard. And one for me to eat in the bathtub while said Piddos and Daddy are outside. Woo hoo! Okay, here is the recipe.

MICROWAVE POPCORN

1 brown paper lunch bag
1/4 C popcorn kernels
1 tsp olive oil, optional
Sea salt

Place kernels, olive oil, and salt in bag. Fold bag closed three times and shake. Lay bag on it's side in microwave (I did this with my second bag tonight, and it seemed to pop more kernels this way). Microwave about 1 minute 30 seconds (mine stopped popping at about 1 minute 20 seconds when upright, but went the full 1/30 when on it's side). Eat as is or add more seasoning (I added Johnny's Seasoning Salt to mine, but I've got a couple of other recipes for things like Cheesy Popcorn and Chili Cheese Popcorn). Be sure to put a paper towel down in your microwave (and on your counter), as the oil will soak through the bag.

Okay, there you go. Go try it out!

2 comments:

Kimi said...

MMM, I might have to try this. You could add a little sugar to the oil and make it kettle corn. I'm getting a recipe for it from my SIL. It's yummy.

Heather said...

Have to remember this one. Did you get picks of their campout?